Argentina Month-By-Month Crop Cycles
Below is a breakdown of the month-by-month crop production cycles in Argentina.
- Early corn being planted in northern Argentina, corn planting progresses southward.
- Sunflower planting begins.
- Wheat is in vegetative to heading phase.
- Temperatures in northern Argentina can be quite warm.
- Temperatures in central Argentina warming up to 70's-80 but cool spells still possible.
- Rainfall in the form of spring showers.
- This is the main corn planting month, especially in central Argentina.
- Finish sunflower planting.
- Begin early soybean planting in central Argentina.
- Wheat is moving from heading to grain filling phase.
- Temperatures warming up to the 80's or hotter.
- Rainfall can be variable.
- Corn planting finishes in central Argentina.
- Corn pollination starts in northern Argentina.
- Soybean planting at full steam.
- Wheat moving from grain filling to maturity.
- Sunflowers are flowering.
- Temperatures now at summertime levels, can have heat waves as well.
- Summertime rains usually become more abundant.
- Last corn planted in southern Argentina.
- Corn beginning to pollinate in central Argentina.
- Corn in northern Argentina moving from grain filling to maturity.
- Finish planting full season soybeans.
- Main month for harvesting wheat.
- Start planting double crop soybeans after wheat is harvested.
- Temperatures now approaching maximum summer highs.
- Rainfall usually abundant, but can have dry spells.
- Early corn in northern Argentina approaching maturity.
- Corn moving from pollination to grain filling in central Argentina.
- By end of month, some early corn and sunflowers are starting to be harvested.
- Finish wheat harvest by early January.
- Finish planting double crop soybeans by early January.
- Full season soybeans flowering and starting to set pods.
- Maximum summer temperatures.
- Summer rains usually abundant, but can have dry spells.
- More corn and sunflowers now being harvested.
- Corn in central Argentina entering grain filling phase.
- Full season soybeans setting and filling pods.
- Double crop soybeans flowering.
- Sunflower harvest in full swing.
- Temperatures can still be very hot, but starting to cool by end of month.
- Rainfall usually getting lighter.
- Corn harvest in full swing, much of the crop maturing.
- Main month for soybean pod filling.
- Harvest begins on early maturing soybeans.
- Temperatures cooling down.
- Rainfall getting lighter.
- Finish up most of the corn harvest.
- Full season soybean harvest in full swing.
- Start to plant winter small grain crops.
- Temperatures cooling to "fall-like" levels.
- Rainfall continues to get lighter.
- Finish harvesting full season soybeans.
- Begin harvesting early double crop soybeans.
- Main month for planting winter small grains.
- This is fall and winter in Argentina.
- Temperatures in northern Argentina are pleasant, temperatures in central Argentina are cool and frosts can be common, temperatures in southern Argentina are cold with snow possible.
- Winter rains can occur at any time.
- Finish planting winter small grain crops in June.
- Finish harvesting double crop soybeans in June.
- Farmers are actively marketing their grain and watching for selling opportunities due to potential weather problems in the U.S.
- Farmers are making plans for the next growing season and purchasing their inputs.